Friday, May 11, 2012

My Fibro Experience - Series

Tomorrow is Fibromyalgia Awareness Day.  It is a day set aside to bring awareness to this invisible disease.  Many communities have Fibromyalgia Awareness Events scheduled to help raise money for research and a cure.  Unfortunately, my community does not have any activities scheduled, however, I did find a great resource to aid me bringing an event to my area in the future.  If you would like to see how to bring an event to your area you can read How to Organize a Fibromyalgia Awareness Event and get some great information for organizing and planning.


Fibromyalgia comes in many shapes and sizes.  Each person suffers and survives in different ways.  In my case, I just pull myself up each morning and make myself go.  Some days I can "suck it up" and others it is just not that easy.

For the past three years, I have been having trouble with my left hand.  In 2010, I had carpal tunnel surgery and index trigger finger release surgery.  Following the surgery, the pain seemed to increase and moved to the joint in my thumb.  I was sent to doctor after doctor for this test, x-ray, MRI, etc, and nothing showed a problem, other than rheumatoid arthritis.

Over the years, I have learned that you must be persistent when comes to your own body and healthcare.  I changed doctors (orthopedic) and continued to insist that something be done to reduce the pain.

In the past year, the use of my left hand has diminished dramatically.  I have not been able to hold on to anything with any kind of weight (i.e. bottles of water, etc).  If I couldn't balance something between my fingers, it was on the floor.  The use of my fingers and thumb is very limited.

Finally, two years from the first surgery, my doctor is considering surgery to repair and/or relieve my pain and give me use of my hand again.  I am not excited to have another surgery, but have come to believe that any relief and/or use of my hand is better than what I have now.  So, the waiting has begun.

My purpose in sharing this story with you is to show you that persistence pays off, eventually.  It is your body and your health.  If something doesn't feel right, it probably isn't.  Fibromyalgia patients most usually can tell when a pain is "normal" or not.  If something doesn't seem right and your doctor isn't taking you serious, keep after them or get a second opinion.

DISCLAMIER:  I am not a medical professional and do not offer medical advice.  I am simply sharing my own experiences.  This should not be considered medical advice in any way.

Don't forget to wear your purple tomorrow to show that you are either a sufferer of Fibromyalgia, or know someone who is.  Let's show the world that Fibromyalgia is real!

No comments:

Post a Comment