Saturday, March 31, 2012

Kitchen Organization

Where, oh where have I been?  Well, I could tell you that I have been creating and have a load of new projects to share with you, but that wouldn't be entirely the truth.

I have been continuing my quest to make more organized space in my home.  I have been doing let's say research too.  Ok, you got me, I have been on Pinterest....ALOT!  But, I have been getting inspiration.  That counts, right?

My latest venture has taken me back to my kitchen.  I decided to purchase some slide transfer paper and make some labels for an old set of canisters I have had since I first got married nearly 22 years ago.  These canisters, a three piece set, came with an bread box.  It has never been updated and is beginning to look hideous in my updated kitchen.

The first step in the project was to find some affordable slide transfer paper.  I went on a few websites after Googling "slide transfer paper".  The best place I found to purchase it was on Ebay, of course.  In a few days, it was delivered right to my door. 

While I was waiting for the paper to arrive, I needed to find just the right printable labels.  I found a great place to get these free printables at I Heart Organizing.  They looked great with one drawback.  I wanted different sizes and words all on one sheet to maximize the paper space.  So, I downloaded the labels that I liked and went to my trusty Photoshop to incorporate the wording and sizes that I needed.

I printed out what I needed and began following the directions in preparing the slide transfers.  I got this information from a popular Pinterest site called The Painted Hive.  The free printables from these website have been trending on Pinterest for awhile.  The information on where to buy and how to use the slide transfer paper is easy to follow.


I will use the larger labels on some big glass canisters that I keep inside the cabinet.  I will be sure to post pictures of that process as well.


I liked the look of the labels and was happy to finally see this old set get an update.  However, I was a little bit disappointed when I actually put product inside the canisters.  It seemed, especially on the brown sugar canister, that my lettering blended in and became difficult to see.  If I where to do it again, I think I would choose a different font that is easier to see.


The final product, although not outstanding, turned out fairly good.  Now I think I will work on updating the box itself.  Maybe some white paint and a little distressing.


What I most learned from this project is that while on paper it may look great, I should look ahead at what the use of the project will be.  I am not overall disappointed.  And, anytime that you can complete a project and learn something new about the entire process, you are already ahead for the next project that comes down the line.  

Remember it is your world to create.  Sometimes we get caught up in what someone will think of a project when they first come into our home and see it.  This is not overall a bad thing.  We want others to appreciate our craftiness and compliment us on it.  However, I am a believer that you, the "artist", should be satisfied at the end of a craft project.  If you look at the project and know that it what you envisioned in your head when you began, then it is perfect.

So, go out there and create!



No comments:

Post a Comment