Thursday, April 6, 2017

Do You Consider Handmade Gift Items Cheap?

The debate continues....
When someone gives you a gift whether it is for your birthday, anniversary, wedding or Christmas, do you consider the gift "cheap" if it has been handmade?  Do you consider the time and effort that went into the crafting of the item?

CraftyMorning.com

There are some of you out there who do not care for handmade items (unless they come from your own children).  Then, there is the camp, such as myself, that love handmade items....and actually prefer it.

I have always been a crafty person.  In my childhood, I remember sitting at the sewing machine with my grandmother.  It always amazed me to watch as she turned a plain flat of fabric into clothing or curtains.  Unfortunately, as much as I have tried, sewing is not my forte.  I did, however, take the love of creating away from the experience.

Over the years, I have tried my hand and several different crafts.  I have a love of the craft store (as my husband can attest).  My favorite crafts though, are those created using items normally thrown out. 

Every year I vacation at the beach.  I spend hours walking the shore with my bucket or bag.  It is so peaceful for me to walk along the water and hear the waves.  The bonus is finding all kinds of beautiful shells.  I use these FREE craft items to create décor, wreaths, frames and so much more.  Not only do I get a truly personalized souvenir, but so do my friends and family.  Each time I look at my wreath, frame or whatever I created, I am able to take myself back to that peaceful moment when I collected it from the sand.

So, the next time someone offers you a handmade items, please stop for a moment and consider the time and memories that that person created for you.  I assure you that handmade items are not cheap.  Step inside your local craft store and you will understand.  Most handmade gifts cost more than store bought items.

No comments:

Post a Comment