Thursday, April 26, 2012

DIY Flower Pot

I have been a busy, busy girl...of course.  I think that is just the way of my life.  I hate standing still, so in my down time I am creating.

Recently, I went on a search for a new flower pot for a plant in my home.  I looked everywhere for just the perfect pot to go with my new decor in the kitchen and dining room.  Everything that I looked at just wasn't right.  The pots that I could have settled for were very expensive for me.  I began to get frustrated until.....my "ah-ha" moment.  In the distance, I seen the shelves full of terra cotta pots.  I am not usually a fan of terra cotta, but there it was and my mind began creating it.

I purchased the size of pot that I needed and returned home to search through old scrapbook papers that I have stored.  There it was, the perfect paper, color, print and all.


My friend, Mod Podge, and  I got started smoothing the paper over the terra cotta pot.  At first, I tried to smooth out all the wrinkles.  This was getting more and more difficult.  I stepped back and took another look at the wrinkles.  Guess what?  They added more character, so I let them be.


It took two pieces of scrapbook paper to cover each side, which left me with a unsightly seam.  So, I used a piece of the coordinating  paper that I used on the top.  It worked out well.

A little blending and antiquing with some paint and it was coming together, except at the rim where the two papers met.  Solution:  I used some scrap jute rope from a previous project and began wrapping it.  It made the entire project some together.


Now for getting the soil in it and tranplanting the plant.  Since I have a black thumb, I hope that I don't kill it in the process.

Go out and create your world.  Always take a second look at items.  This will let you open your mind to changing that item to fit into your decor.  You might just like the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment